Saturday, October 22, 2016

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon (2016)

I'm late to the sign up for the biannual Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, but I discovered that it is fact today (starting in an hour) and I do in fact have a lot of reading to do this weekend, as well as a need to stay on-task with my blog so... here goes!

I'm in the thick of things with school right now, so I need to finish rereading Toni Morrison's Beloved. So that's first up on the list.

Several weeks ago, I started reading Rebecca Skloot's non-fiction work, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I'm just shy of half-way through it, and I'm really enjoying it, so I think I might be able to finish it, if I read the way a Readathoner should.

Last night, I started a semi non-fictional work by Georgina Kleege, Blind Rage: Letters to Helen Keller. Kleege is blind herself, and her work engages with the figure of--you guessed it-- Helen Keller in order to think about the representation (and idealization) of people with disabilities.

It's a mix of biographical information about Keller's life, coupled with Kleege's reflections on what we both know and don't know about Keller's own reaction to the events of her life. I'm also really enjoying this one, so I think I've good a good set-up for an enjoyable start to the Readathon.

I also have several (ha!) books stacked off to the side that I'd like to get to. I'm working on creating a course on gender and (dis)ability in literature, so I've got tons of works that fall into that category--from short plays like William Gibson's The Miracle Worker and Bernard Pomerance's The Elephant Man and Mark Medoff's Children of a Lesser God-- to a memoir about a black woman's experience of depression, Meri Nana-Ama Danquar's Willow Weep for Me.

I also started a novel months ago (I last remember reading it on the beach, actually, so it's been a while), M. G. Vassanji's The In-Between World of Vikram Lall. I need to finish it.

If none of these hold my attention (although I'm optimistic about getting through several of the plays, actually), I'll crack open Edwidge Danticat's The Farming of Bones, or a two-part memoir by Tsitsi Dangarembga, Nervous Conditions and The Book of Not.

Full disclosure: I also need to run some errands and do some yard work, so I'll be taking a couple of breaks along the way.

But right now, a day immersed in books and relatively disconnected from social media--with the exception of the occasional blog-post update here--sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."