Friday, June 24, 2016

With A Grain of Salt and Not Enough Sleep

I'm operating on only 4 hours' sleep here today, so blogging may not be the best idea, but I know it needs to be done, and I'm determined to do it.

Why only 4 hours' sleep, you ask?  A variety of factors.

Not least of which was probably that after-dinner cup of coffee at 5:30 p.m. yesterday.  I treated myself to dinner and a movie last night, and it may sound strange, but when you only ever drink coffee in the morning--and in my case, usually 5:30 in the morning, courtesy of my beloved kitty,  Juno--you sort of forget that decaf... exists.

At least, that's what I did.  I had a lovely Starbucks Caramel Macchiatto (grande, no less), and only after I had guzzled it down did I think, oh crap, I should have had decaf.

Oh well.  It enabled me to chat with my BFF until the wee hours, yet another reason why I only had 4 hours of sleep.  But sometimes, these things just need to happen.

Right now, though, the sleep deprivation is making me feel a bit woozy.  I'm an 8-hours-of-sleep kind of person. (10 is even better, in my book.  7 is the minimum.  Anything less, and ... well, here we are.)

I've been powering through the morning and afternoon tackling herb-related tasks, because that's a gentle way of being in the world when you haven't really had enough sleep.

I have more than enough herbs, and I discovered that in addition to drying them, you can make an herbal salt.  So that's what I've been doing, and this is what it looks like.

I used garlic, oregano, rosemary, and sage, and now it just needs to sit and dry for a day or two.   Or, I'll put it in the oven at 250 degrees F for about 10 minutes, to dry it all out more quickly.  Then, I can put it in a jar and store it.

The only caveat that I've seen has been the suggestion to use it sparingly, because it can get very salty very quickly.  I confess, I didn't actually measure out the salt (or the herbs), but I know I used far more herbs than salt, so I think it will be okay. 

But again, I will use it sparingly until I see.  And I will probably add more herbs to it as the summer unfolds.

I'm almost afraid to post this, but so far, so good on the grow-bags for the tomatoes and the towers for the potatoes.  Here's what the tomatoes look like thus far:


They seem to be doing pretty well, and I have a ton of them, all grown from the seeds that I harvested from last year's crop of tomatoes.  At this point, I have about 20 plants.  We'll see how that works out.

I've been in this place before, and there are just no guarantees.

And the potato towers have produced happy potato plants (as have the raised beds).  Whether said happy plants will happily produce potatoes remains to be seen, but at least one of my other, more expert gardener-friends has said that the fact that the plants are flowering is "a great sign."  So... fingers crossed, and here they are:


I actually built two towers (I didn't mean it as a nod to Tolkien, but I suppose it could be), and yes, at this point I never want to see another stencil as long as I live.  Holy cow, was I sick of that process by the time I reached the top level on the second tower.

But it's done.  And now... we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."