Wednesday, June 1, 2016

And... It's June.

The summer's off to a busy start: I had several goals for Memorial Day weekend, and I'm happy to say, I accomplished them.

I installed two new raised beds, and I transplanted all kinds of veggie goodies.  So the broccoli, cucumbers, and tomatoes have now found their new homes.

As I've mentioned, this year, I'm trying grow bags for the tomatoes.  I have a lot of them, and I wasn't sure where I was going to put them.  But fortune smiled on me in the form of two, crappy, broken-down pallets that were delivered with the rocks for my rock wall.

So now, those pallets are lining the back of my driveway, and their crappiness is completely covered by grow bags with tomato plants in them.  And so far, the plants seem to like it there.  We'll see... I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen when I put the tomato ladders in the bags: fingers crossed they don't tip over.

And the potato plants and their resident towers are growing apace.  I'll post a picture of one when it's finally reached its full height.

Needless to say, I'm becoming quite sick of stenciling.  But the boxes do look nicer that way.

Speaking of boxes, I went back to boxing class on Monday.  (Yes, I know that's not a "real" segue.)  It was mind-alteringly difficult, needless to say, as I fully expected it to be.

But no, I didn't pass out or vomit, so... this is good!  It means I'll be back again next week.

I've also started boxing "southpaw" (aka, lefty).  My teacher broached the idea the last time I took the class a couple of years ago.  Apparently, my left-handed shots are more natural than my right-handed ones, despite the fact that I'm right-handed.

If you're wondering how "handedness" is determined for human beings, so is everyone, as it turns out.  It can be shaped by genetics.  Or by environment.  Or by... whatever.  

My dad was left handed, so it's possible that this had a genetic and environmental influence on me.  Because while I wouldn't say I possess "mixed-handedness" (the preference to do different tasks with different hands), I will at times favor my left hand or find it equally easy (if not easier) to do a task with my left hand than with my right.

I suspect that the fact that I do "bilateral breathing" when I swim (i.e., I turn to both sides to breathe, instead of just to one, dominant side) may have also helped develop the muscles in my left side as well.

Either way, I'm boxing left now, and liking it.  It feels easier for me, in part because I'm "leading" with my dominant side: when you box lefty, you "lead" with the right side, because the power-punches come from the left.  So for me, leading with my right side makes it easier for me to jab and move quickly, needless to say. 

And needless to say, this meant that I had an exhausting but interesting session on Monday and that I'm looking forward to another next week.

Yesterday, I recuperated by reading and knitting.  I'm reading Lidia Yukanvitch's The Chronology of Water (2011) and really liking it, actually.  She has some beautiful sentences and I like what she does with the idea of narrativity--the way that she links it to water and swimming is right up my alley, obviously.

 Yuknavitch claims, "Your life doesn't happen in any kind of order.  Events don't have cause and effect relationships the way you wish they did.  It's all a series of fragments and repetitions and pattern formations.  Language and water have this in common" (4).

On a side note, I wasn't expecting all of the lesbian sex and SM scenes, but I do think they fit with the text's overarching story line, and at this point, I haven't found them "too much."  But I think a lot of people might not be so comfortable with them, and I began to wonder if this is why I didn't hear as much about this memoir as I might have expected.

The story Yuknavitch has to tell isn't an easy one to read,  obviously, but personally, I found it less gratuitously self-indulgent than Strayed's Wild.  I'm about halfway through, so we'll see if my liking for the text keeps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."