Wednesday, March 30, 2016

More or Less

It's been a good day, more or less. 

I say "more or less" because I've spent it doing virtuous, but not necessarily enjoyable things.  For example, I got my teeth cleaned.  I don't really like having my teeth cleaned in general, but I will also say that, in my opinion, a lot hinges on the hygienist.

In my own case, this particular hygienist announced that there was "quite a bit of tartar under the gum line on the left side," so she was "going to have to dig around a bit."

Oh.  Great. 

I said, "Oh, goody. Thanks for letting me know, I guess." I in turn let her know that I have sensitive teeth in general, so she should "get ready for some flinching."

She said that was "okay" that she was "used to people flinching."  She then said, "As long as there's no hitting."

I paused, thinking she must be joking, but she didn't laugh or wink or anything, so I said, "Well, I really don't think it's going to get to that point, do you?"

She said, "I don't think so, but some people... you wouldn't believe what they're like.  I'm like, really?"

This was not a heartening conversation, in short.

In retrospect, I do think hitting her would be taking it a bit too far, but on the other hand, she did at time seem to have a mild strain of sadism in her veins.  I know I've had more tarter buildup in years past, and my teeth weren't ... treated... quite so aggressively.  And she tended to have quite a few critical comments about my brushing technique, or lack thereof, but I do think she truly meant to be helpful, so I don't hold that against her.

Plus, it had been over a year since I had been in.  For the record, I don't go to the dentist every six months.  Once a year.  That's my goal.  I refuse to go twice a year.

So, at this point, my feeling is it's over for another year.

And at this precise moment, I'm waiting for an oil change for my car.  The TV is blaring "Wheel of Fortune," but I'm doing my best to drown it out and I'll be glad when this task is also over.

I decided to swing on by after teaching a three-hour class this afternoon, that was nothing short of delightful.  One of the reasons I haven't been blogging so much (I think) is that I've been busy enjoying my classes and writing away on an article on the role of confession in Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace and Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.

I've been saving my writing and thinking chops so I can put them to good use in things related to school, in short. And so far, so good.

This weekend, I have plans for some fun.  My best friend has a painting in a show, so I'm heading to visit her and her family and go to the artist's reception on Friday night and just generally have a bit of fun.

So that will mean less blogging, but more life.  For now, I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."