Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Holiday Home Stretch

Needless to say, it's been busy.  A review of the past week or two, in pictures, is the quickest and easiest way to sum it all up.

"Is that the thesis?"
First, there was the grading.

Then, when that was finished, there were the TWO revise-and-resubmit requests to get--and keep--working on.

I haven't finished them yet.  One (on Zola) is grinding along at a snail's pace--did I mention I don't like Zola?  Yeah, I don't--but I'm hoping I can have it done before the year's end.

My self-imposed deadline was originally December 1st, but obviously, we blew past that a while ago.

The second revise-and-resubmit required additional research.  This is the project on Shalamov's Kolyma Tales, that I've blogged about before, and I will say, it's the project I prefer to work on.

More or less.

The reason I say "more or less" is because it's never a whole lot of fun when editors tell you that to further enhance your analysis of the Soviet Gulags (forced labor camps), you should do a bit more research on... the Holocaust.

So yes, that's what I've been doing for the past month as well: reading more about the Holocaust and specifically Holocaust testimonies.

This may have something to do with why I haven't been blogging the way I've wanted to.  One finds oneself speechless at the end of a reading day made up of Holocaust testimonies. 

I'm also reading Charlotte Bronte's Villette (1853).  I started it years ago, and didn't like it.  A week or so ago, I decided to give it another shot.

I still don't like it.  But at this point, I'm about halfway through, so I'm determined to power through it to the end.  That will then give me something to complain... I mean, blog... about.  (I believe it's on my Classics Club reading list, but I'll have to check.)

In better news, though, there has been knitting.  Lots and lots of knitting.  And this is a joy to me, obviously.  My latest happy project is a pair of cat mittens. 

At this point, I only have the one.  I binge-knit it on a day when all we had was fog and rain and general dreariness.

I made the executive decision that such a day was not meant for reading Holocaust testimonies or overwrought nineteenth-century novels with narrators who are just so damn full of themselves it's hard to care what happens to them (that's a little teaser for my summary of review of Villette).

 Pictured at the right is palm of the mitten.  Note the little paw-prints.  Kinda cutesy, but it involves kitty cats, so I don't care. 

Judge me all you like, I have cats and I adore them.

Needless to say, the mitten will require its mate.  I only made the one during the binge-knit, because that in and of itself took all day and I went to bed around midnight woozy with wool.

I will also need to put the thumb on it.  I hate doing the thumbs of mittens, so I save them for the very last and then just grit my teeth and do them. 

And then I will be happy.  Because I will have a second pair of mittens that fit...ahem... like a glove and that pretty darn pretty.

And I even blogged about it all.  Now, if I can just get Zola on his way for the holidays, I'll be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."