Friday, September 25, 2015

Binges

I've been on a bunch of binges lately.

First, there was the reading-binge.  I spent a solid 48 hours reading Neil Gaiman.  I started with Coraline (2002) and then moved on to Neverwhere (2003).  I loved both of them.  They were just so weird and different, it was downright wonderful. 

While I was reading them, I concurrently embarked on a knitting binge.  I've been knitting for over 30 years of my life, so yes, I can knit without looking.  It isn't really that hard, once you're a seasoned knitter: you just need to get up the nerve and take the plunge and stop looking and just... knit.

So, I worked on knitting a scarf while reading and, strange to say, it turned out that the color of the scarf kind of matched the plot of the novels.  Dark and moody.  That doesn't usually happen, but suffice to say, I now think of the scarf as my "Neverwhere" scarf (and not because I'll never wear it).

I've been on an exercise binge.  I swam a mile yesterday, and then took an adventurous bike ride today that didn't really pan out as well as I had hoped.

I was hoping for some really nice views and a relaxing ride of about 25 miles.  I ended up with very bumpy roads and hills with long inclines and traffic and a couple of missed turns that ended up leading me onto even bumpier roads.

Plus, the view deteriorated the further I went, and I didn't want to go further in the hopes that it would get better, in case it didn't, because I already knew that on the return trip, the view would be basically not that great for at least half of the trip.  So I only went 15 miles and then I turned around.

The thing was, the view at the park where I started was actually quite nice, so when I returned, I took out a little beach chair and--you guessed it--knit for a bit.  So all's well that ended well, on that front.

I've also been on a soup and bread-making binge.  I keep making soup.  Soup, soup, soup.  I think it has something to do with it being the first day of autumn this week.  And I think the bread-making is simply following in the wake of the soup-making, because really, what's a nice soup without some nice bread?

I made two loaves (a binge, like I said) of oatmeal honey bread.  And I have to say, given that I have a house full of homemade jam from this summer, homemade bread seems to be the only sensible way to go.

Because homemade jam without homemade bread is just nonsense, and I won't stand for it.

I've also been getting--or getting set to get--a million and one little household tasks done before autumn sets in.    The down side of this is that it seems to take all day to do this, so I'm not getting as much writing done as I'd like.

But I'm hoping that this weekend can maybe mark a turnaround on that front.  Because in a few days, I'll have grading to do.  Yes, the semester's officially underway, and we're about to be in it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."