Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Talking About the Weather

I'm not going to lie: I've been feeling a bit under the weather since Saturday, so I haven't had the energy to blog.  (Or bike, but we'll let that pass and hope for better things for tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.)

We had a weird little storm last week that wreaked some havoc on my street.  A power surge blew out my neighbors' GFI's (all of them) and the surge protector on their computer (although the computer itself was okay).

It also took out the frozen yogurt machine at the ice cream place down the street.  (No vanilla or coffee until further notice.)

It took out one of my light switches.  And as near as the technician and I can tell, it probably pushed my failing internet connection over the edge as well.  All I know is, I had no internet at all on Monday.

On the plus side, the rain and the warm weather that come with thunderstorms have been greatly welcomed by the garden.

Tomatoes couldn't be happier.


I can't believe how well my sage did this year.  Usually, the bugs wreak havoc on it, but this year, I surrounded it with geraniums, and that did the trick.  Begone, bugs!

 

  I have all kinds of peppermint.  There's a garter snake living in there, though, so I'm reluctant to pick it.  (I know it's not a cobra or an anaconda, but still.  It's a snake.  You reach in there.)

 

 The clematis is INSANE.


 Seriously, INSANE.


I see homemade pesto in my future.  


Because we're coming up on the 4th, I decided to try out a new potato salad recipe.  It's a lemon and dill potato salad, and I think it's quite nice, in part because that's my homegrown dill (and chives) in there, and my homemade mustard is part of the base for the dressing.


While preparing it, I chilled to the Eagles.  I think they're perfect music for getting ready to take it easy on the 4th (although I know that if you're reading this and you don't like the Eagles, you won't agree with me).   Good to listen to when the weather isn't cooperating--and even when it is.

Lighten up while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."