Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Buckling Down

I decided that this is the week I really need to buckle down and start working on my research and writing.  Because the 4th of July has come and gone, which means we're midway through the summer, which means I need to buckle down and start working on my research and my writing.

So here are a few images to showcase the extent to which I'm buckling down.




Let me explain:  I got up first thing this morning, courtesy of Juno, who meows di-rectly into my ear if I sleep past 6:05 a.m.  Based on the worried look on her face I can only guess that she somehow thinks that if I sleep until 6:15, I must be at death's door, which means that she in turn will starve.

So, I got up.  If you're a writer, you probably know that first thing in the morning is the perfect time to write because everything is quiet and calm.  I know that's certainly been my experience.  So this is what I did:  I picked that big basket of basil you see pictured there.

For the record, I would like to point out that the basil needed to be picked because if it wasn't, it might bolt and go to seed and that would wreak havoc on my summer-long pesto-making agenda.

And once you pick basil, you have to make the pesto right away, so that's what I did next.

In the process of making said pesto, I decided that instead of always using pesto as a sauce, I would mix it with ricotta cheese and make a ravioli filling. 

Once I decided that, it was important to see if others have had the same idea (they have), so this involved a brief stint of Googling.  But it was well worth it, because now I know that my idea is quite feasible.

This means, of course, that I'm going to have to make homemade ravioli again.  I'm postponing that until tomorrow, though, because I'm buckling down on my research and my writing.  As evidenced by the following:  after I finished making pesto, I went blueberry picking.

Because yes, it's blueberry picking time.  There's just no way I could not go blueberry picking for an hour or two.  That would be madness, I tell you, sheer madness.  And the best blueberry picking time happens to be first thing in the morning, when they open.  Which, coincidentally, was right when I finished making the pesto.  So it was meant to be. 

Because I have blueberries, I then had to make that blueberry salsa that I really like.  You have to get cracking on that, because it needs to sit for a while after you make it so the flavors meld.  You can see what I mean if you check out the picture of it up above.

Did I mention that I'm going to repaint my bedroom?  Before I could do that, I needed to fix a couple of spots on one of the walls, and since the spots were pretty small, I knew that doing it right away would in no way interfere with buckling down on my research and my writing.

While I was doing that, though, I had a moment of interior decorating angst.  Given the color I'm planning to paint the bedroom, there is a good chance that the dresser I have in there will no longer match.

This meant that I had to go back to Googling to see if I could find a dresser that would.  Thank heavens I did--from that point on, it took only a few brief moments for me to commune with myself in order to decide whether or not I in fact "deserved" a new dresser in my soon-to-be-newly-painted bedroom. 

I'm happy to report that I decided that yes, indeed, I do deserve a new dresser, and one has now been ordered.

This means, of course, that I've now committed myself to getting the bedroom painted before the furniture guys bring this new dresser.  Luckily, I'm pretty certain that job will in no way interfere with my plans to buckle down on my research and my writing.

Did I mention that the swimming pool reopened?  If I'm going to be buckling down, I really need to make sure I get an hour or two of exercise in--I want to have a sound mind in a sound body and all that.

So now here it is, nearly 4:00, and I confess, I'm a bit flabbergasted.  I haven't managed to get any research or writing done in the last 10 hours.  I really don't know how that happened, given the extent to which I've been committed to buckling down.

While I try to figure out how that happened, I think I'll listen to a little music.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."