Sunday, May 31, 2015

Winding Down

It's hard to believe that I spent the entire week thinking, "Okay, let me just do this one thing, and then I'll have a chance to sit down and read and blog..." and then the hours would fly by and the one thing became about 12 things, and there was no reading or blogging to be had.

The good news is, it's raining, and it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days, which means I may finally get to do the sitting and reading and writing that I've been meaning to do for days now.

I wish I could say that I was up to all kinds of fascinating things, but that would be terribly untrue.

I painted a birdhouse and put it in my yard.  I think the holes in it are actually too small to allow any birds access to it, now that I have it fixed to a post and move-in ready.  But I'm telling myself that a hummingbird could make it quite cosy, and I love hummingbirds so... that's that.

I had repairs done to the front porch, which meant that I had to stain and paint it.  Glad that job is done.  If I never seen another stupid unpainted railing spindle, I'll be a happy woman.  Those things are a pain to paint, I'll just say that.

But, they're painted, and it all looks fine. 

Then, I bought another 8-foot long planter, so that had to be assembled and stained and then it had to be filled with soil and planted. 

In the meantime, there was the bike.  I hit a real low on Friday, when I tried to pump air in the tires and ended up deflating the rear tire and then breaking off the screw on the valve.  Meanwhile, the seat was still causing me problems.

So, I went back to the store for advice and assistance.  I was really pretty embarrassed and upset with myself, actually, but I was pleasantly surprised at how kind and helpful they were.

Turns out, the pump-problem wasn't my fault.  The pump was defective: there was no way anyone would have ever gotten a seal with that thing.  So, as the guy said, "NO WONDER you had a problem!"  That was music to my ears. 

He then helped me come up with a game plan to deal with the seat issue.  In the meantime, I also went out and read a couple of articles that tapped into my Pilates training, so I figured out a way to adjust to the road bike seat. 

It's still a transition period, but let's just say I'm finally taking normal-length rides on it daily.  (Or I was, until it started raining.)  And not suffering for it mightily afterward. 

So this was all good.  Add to this the fact that various plants are growing and doing well--tomatoes, beets, basil, eggplant, a variety of flowers, etc. and you have a formula for a decent week.

Today was spent cooking.  I started to read, but I'm ashamed to say, I began to doze off, so I went back to cooking.  I think I'm still in the process of winding down from what was a busier week than I had anticipated seven days ago.

But its spring, and it's warm, and the house is in good repair and the gardens are poised for productivity, so... whew.  It's been a week well done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."