Friday, May 15, 2015

Whew, Part II

Almost there.

It's been a non-stop week.  But the good news is, the grading is 2/3rds done and the last third should be finished up sometime tomorrow.  And then, there's that article on Zola that is so close to being done and ready to resubmit, I can almost taste it.

And the yard is shaping up.  And the fridge is stuffed--literally stuffed, not "stocked"--with food.  And I'm on the foot of a second sock, so that will be finished any day now.

Quite frankly, I think that if Abigail Adams were sitting here right now, even she would be saying, "Girrlll... you rock."

It's been that kind of week.

Only down side has been, the credit card company has resumed their springtime escapade of "HEY!  Let's randomly block her credit card when she tries to make a purchase, and make her scream."

Yes, they're doing it again.  And they're still calling it "Early Warning Fraud Protection."  (I'm still calling it, "Assholes Blocking My Credit Card.")

A particularly low moment occurred when the customer service rep. (yes, I hung up on another one this week) said, "Ma'am, if protecting you is wrong, then I don't know what 'right' is anymore."

I, in turn, told him to "cut the Crap."  It kind of unraveled from there.

But then, a day or two later, I came up with a work-around.  So, suck it, credit card company, I'll be just fine from now on, thank you.

And it is now my life's mission to be a thorn in your side.  Anytime I have a few spare minutes, guess how I'll be spending it?  Aggravating you

A few fun facts about the credit card industry: did you know that, in industry parlance, people who pay off their balance every month--i.e., people who maintain good credit-- are called "deadbeats."

They're also occasionally called "freeloaders," too,  actually.

The credit industry has tried and tried to figure out ways to penalize these people, because they aren't generating any profits for the industry. 

Yes, you read that right:  CREDIT card companies want to penalize people for having GOOD CREDIT.  At one point, they tossed around the idea of making people who pay their bills on time pay a penalty for doing so. 

The theory was, if you went to a bank and took out a loan for $1000, you'd pay interest and fees.  But if you charge a $1000 item, unless they begin charging interest at the point of sale (yes, they've considered doing that), you get a 30-day loan, interest free.  With no fees.  (Hence, some credit card companies have tried to reinstate the old annual fee of years ago.)

They tried to argue that "deadbeats" and "freeloaders" have been "getting a free ride" at the "expense" of the credit card industry, that by "gaming the system," these people would eventually "cripple" the industry.

Yeah, okay.  You guys make billions.  How much more do you want?  (And why?)

Tell me you're "protecting" me.    I think not.

I also had a bunch of errands to run this week and once again, I marveled at the variety of human nature out there.  (My mom used to say, "It takes all kinds to make a world.") 

I went to one place where everyone--and I mean everyone--was super-fit.  Lean, trim, toned... it's always rather astounding to see such a thing in one place (no, it wasn't at a gym).

This was a stark contrast to the convenience store cashier with a mouth full of food who nodded and said, "Mnhum" when I said, "$20 on Pump 9, please."

At the Petco, the cashier there had a suggestion involving catnip.  (That sounds risque, but it really wasn't.)  She said I should get all of my cats' favorite toys, put them in a ziploc bag with catnip, put it in the freezer for a day until it's frozen, then put it in the fridge, and then, whenever "anyone" (i.e., me) goes to the refrigerator, have them (i.e. me), "shake it."

She laughed and said, "Oh, it's great fun--it gets everyone involved.  Everyone will have a blast!  After a month, you hide the toys and do the whole thing again a few weeks later."

My best friend said, "I don't get it... Did she miss a step?"

This made me feel better, because I really didn't understand it either. 

I decided not to ask or pursue it any further with the cashier because the fact of the matter is, I know myself well enough to know that I won't really enjoy shaking a bag of toys and catnip every time I open the fridge. 

And if I had a house full of people, unless they really, really seemed to be deriving a lot of joy from doing it (and I mean, a lot), I would probably say, "Stop that" sometime along about Day 2. 

Plus I suspect my cats would think I'd lost my marbles.  And Juno would probably respond by deciding, "From now on, I'll wake her up at 5:00 a.m, instead of 5:30... she clearly needs the extra awake-time."

The only other event was, I was the victim of a serious tailgater on the drive home.  You know how you look in the rear view mirror and all you can see is someone's entire windshield and their angry, agitated little face staring at you?  Like, there's no sign of the hood of the car because they're following that close behind you?  And if they hit you, they'll end up in the backseat, calling you filthy names and claiming it's your fault they hit you?

Sigh.  All I could think was, "It's a beautiful, sunny day, dude.  Chill."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."