Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pollyanna

Another Memorial Day Weekend to kick off another summer and, I hate to say it, but I've had such a nice week that I'm going to be a big ole Pollyanna about it all.

What a beautiful day it is!  What a nice week it's been!

I took a 12-mile bike ride yesterday and lived to tell the tale.  Despite the fact that it was rather chilly (once you got going) and there was a serious headwind, I weathered the seat and seem to have mastered the toe clips.  Only one very small toe clip incident, but that elicited nothing more than a "Dag-nabbit!" and then I was back in the saddle again.  

Yes, I actually say "Dagnabbit" when mildly frustrated.  If it's good enough for Yosemite Sam, it's good enough for me.  (Sometimes.)

Perhaps this spirit of good cheer was boosted by the fact that I made my own calzones this week.  During exam week, I confess, I got a hankering for a calzone, so I ordered this truly ENORMOUS one--it was two meals for me, and boy, was it good.

But of course, my nature is such that I can't simply buy a calzone if I take a good look at one and realize that I could make my own.

And I can, so I did.

 These beauties have ricotta, mozarella, garlic, onion and kale inside.  Next week, the kale will be swapped for spinach.  I make them a bit smaller and then have half of one for lunch--it's plenty for me, and I truly see no point to making a single, enormous calzone that I'll have to slice up anyway.

Then, I made leek and potato soup, which was delightful.  (I don't have a picture of it, though.)

The Pollyanna-part about the soup is that it has fresh sage, chives and oregano from my herb garden in it.  Plus, the broth is the chicken bone-broth that I made last winter, when I was slowly freezing to death like everyone else on the East Coast.

In the same vein, I made my first batch of lemon-mint water of the season, with fresh mint from the garden.  I can't take credit for that--my longtime friend over at Totally By Design turned me on to it.  (Check out her blog: she has great taste in pretty much everything--and I'm not just saying that because she's my longtime friend.)

And when I got back from my bike ride yesterday, I decided that  since the quart of milk I had in the fridge wasn't getting any younger, and the leftover rice I kept forgetting to make into fried rice was going to keep being forgotten, I might just as well make a batch of rice pudding.








So that's what I did.

I must say, there are very few things in this work about which one can say, "They taste great hot OR cold," but homemade rice pudding is one of those things.

I had it again for breakfast this morning.  And before you go and get all judgey (that's a word), I would simply like to point out that rice pudding is rice, milk, raisins, and eggs.

What did YOU have for breakfast?  Lucky Charms?  Yeah, I thought so.  Okay.  

In any case, I advocate more rice pudding in the world, on a daily basis.  Vanilla, cinnamon, honey: it's got it all.

Speaking of which, I am seriously 2/3rds of the way through War and Peace, and I swear to you that I WILL blog about the second half of it in the near future.

I'm also working on Amitav Ghosh's Ibis trilogy: I read Sea of Poppies a couple of weeks ago, and I'm working on River of Smoke right now, so when I finish that, I'll blog about both.  The third novel in the series is due out in August...

Happy Memorial Day, everyone.  I hope you also have a beautiful week and weekend to brag about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."