Sunday, March 15, 2015

So Far

Well, I did it: I fixed the bathroom wall this weekend (among other things).  

After I cut two small strips of wood to brace the wall around the hole, I cut a piece of drywall to fit like so:


Full disclosure: generally, you're supposed to cut the hole in the wall to fit the piece of drywall (very counter-intuitive, I know), because that is usually easier than trying to cut and fit a piece of drywall into an existing hole (the way I've done it here).

Given the presence of the pipes, I decided that making the hole itself larger would in no way simplify the repair process.   Instead, I simply cut two pieces (one for the top, one for the bottom), to fit around the pipe.

I proceeded to use "mud" (joint compound) and mesh tape to fill in the gaps and cover the drywall screws. (I took out the two screws you see sticking out in the first photo--they were just little "handles" to use to help put the pieces in place.)  


To anyone who thinks, "Oh, I don't know if I could do that..." I have 2 questions:
1) have you ever (successfully) wrapped an oddly-shaped holiday present? 
2) have you ever frosted a cake (or cupcake)?
If your answer to both of these is "yes," well, then, I'm here to tell you that you have mad skillz my friend, and you'll do just fine.

Yesterday, I sanded the wall smooth and today, I painted.  And this is the end result:


So, it's done.  And in the meantime, I also made a very nice Chicken Piccata yesterday (again, my apologies to the vegetarians).  Here's the lemon-butter sauce, simmering away:


And here's the finished result, sitting pretty:


Today, I made beef broth from scratch.  I've been making homemade chicken broth for a while now, but I'd never tried beef.  Yesterday, I went to the local farm store and they were selling large bags of beef bones, so I bought a bag and gave it a try.

It worked just fine (of course).  Dinner is beef barley soup, an all-time favorite.

In the meantime, here's the Spring Mix sock in progress.  It's a perfect St. Patrick's Day sock, actually, and it is tantalizingly posed alongside Juno, who is rapidly on the mend:


For some reason, I think Smokey knows when photos of knitting are going up on the blog, because he always insists on posing with said knitted item, even though I typically can't get him to sit still for a photo to save my life.

(He looks rather critical of my handiwork, I know.)
This Friday, we are celebrating the one-year anniversary of Juno's adoption, so the post wouldn't be complete without the (admittedly rather rare) photo of my happy feline family.  From left to right, Freya, Juno, Smokey.

You know what they say about "herding cats"?  It's totally true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."