Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Each Day, and the Living of It"

"Each day, and the living of it, has to be a conscious creation in which discipline and order are relieved with some play and pure foolishness."
- May Sarton

I like to take morning bike rides in a park near where I live.  I miss these rides terribly in the winter, when it gets too cold (by my standards, anyway) to go out riding.  So I spend the spring, summer and fall taking advantage of every day that offers a chance to ride.

Being on my bike reminds me of what it was like to be 8 years old--even if my body is occasionally aware that 37 years have passed since that time.

There's an elderly woman who carries a walking stick and strolls through the park every morning.  She occasionally whistles and sings as she walks.  When the birds sing, she whistles a response.

Yesterday, she and the birds were carrying on a lengthy call-and-response.  I couldn't help but smile because it was clear they were "talking" to each other. 

This morning, as I rode by her, she smiled and stretched her arms wide and said, "What a day, what a day!"

It was a beautiful morning.

I hope that when I grow old, this is how I age: walking and singing with outstretched arms at the beauty of the day.

This weekend, I watched an interesting TED Talk by Kathryn Schulz entitled "Don't Regret Regret." 

I think that maybe this is what life is: a mingling of regret for the things that weren't, joy about the things that are, and hope for the things of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."