Saturday, May 3, 2014

Interim

This weekend is a bit of hiatus for me, between the end of the semester and the start of finals.  Classes are done and the grading is about to begin.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a little respite.  I went for a swim at the pool last night and a bike ride this afternoon and I must say, you can definitely tell that it's been six weeks and two trips to the ER since I last did any kind of major exercise.

This is the difference between being in your 20's and being in your 40's, I suppose.  One of many differences.

Oh well.  That's what spring is for, to get rid of any winter flab and stop huffing and puffing through life.

I also tried a new knitting pattern this weekend.  I thought it was going well. until it became clear that it really wasn't.  So I unraveled it and set it aside--maybe I'll try again this summer.

It involved lace-weight "yarn."  I put that in scare quotes because really, lace weight yarn is "thread."  Anyway, I've never worked with lace weight, and as I said, I thought it was going okay until I spotted a mistake.  And then I spotted another.

With lace weight, forget about frogging or tinking (i.e. unraveling).  You might as well just blow your brains out and get it over with.  Puncture a sinus cavity with the knitting needle and call it a day.

So, I gave up.  For now.  I think I'll try again later, but I'm not sure when.  It's a cool pattern, and I think it would be nice to have a sweater made from lace weight, but sanity is also kinda cool, in many ways, and I have to think about what's best for humanity in the long run.

Speaking of which, I've started planting seeds and bracing myself for rounds upon rounds of gardening.  It's been beautiful weather this weekend--a real treat after last winter--the kind of day when you don't mind having yard work to do.

Meanwhile, once inside, I'm starting to eye all of the stacks upon stacks of books that I've been ... stacking... since last winter, in anticipation of this summer.  This summer is a chance for me to rest upon my laurels: I've done a TON of work over the past two years, and now it's time to relax and enjoy.

AFTER finals are over and the grading is in, that is.  But in the interim, I'll practice for the upcoming resting and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."