Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Middle

The band, Jimmy Eats World, sings a song called "The Middle" that I always enjoy listening to when life gets scattered and hectic.

"It just takes some time, little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
Everything will be just fine, everything will be all right..."

Time is a funny thing.  Things that seem important in the moment prove to be totally unremembered and not at all memorable a week or a month or a year later.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if there was any benefit or life-lesson in the experiences I've had (and I'm not saying there was--just "if"), it lies in the fact that I see the trivial things in life for what they are: trivial.

This is such a blessing.  It cuts back on all kinds of stress and enables me to be so much more focused and productive, once I put things in perspective.  

When I feel myself getting sucked in now, I think, "What is this, really?  Remember all the things you've been through?  Does this even compare to that?  If not, why do you even care?  How important is this, really?"

"Just try your best
Try everything you can
And don't you worry what they tell themselves
When you're away."

And then I find that I can regroup and move forward, in nearly no time at all.  

What's even more interesting is, the minute I do so, some element or comment comes into my life uninvited and lets me know that what others thought of as "wrong" about me might very well be what's "right" about me, if viewed from another perspective.

"Hey, you know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own...
So don't buy in.
Just live right now,
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if it's good enough
For someone else."

I've been busy compiling all of my work over the past decade for an application I'm putting together: whew, what a task!  But on the other hand, aside from the time spent babysitting the printer, it's been very gratifying.  

I've accomplished more than I remembered.  And things have gone better than I had thought.  Again, it's a question of how things look in the moment versus how they look in retrospect.

"Just do your best
Do everything you can
And don't you worry what the bitter hearts
Are gonna say..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."