Wednesday, March 5, 2014

T-Minus

I'm a morning of getting ready, an afternoon of meetings, and an evening of classes away from spring break.

Almost there.  I can't wait.  It can't come soon enough, at this point.

Even though most of it is going to be spent working.  I have papers from all of my classes to grade.  I have an article that needs substantial revisions, and an article that needs to be finished and submitted.  I have reading to do.  I'm sure something somewhere needs to be cleaned.  Or fixed.

I don't care.

I just want to spend a week acknowledging the concept of SPRING.

And when I get back from spring break, I'm planning to adopt another rescued cat.  Yes, another one.

Which means that, on any given day, there will now be 3x as many cats as people in my home.

To anyone who says, "That sounds like too many," I say, "No, it's not."

I've had my eye on this kitty for a while now: she was abandoned in front of an animal hospital when she was extremely pregnant.  She gave birth to 6 kittens less than 24 hours later.

Poor little girl.  She was only about a year old herself at that time.

So she's a lucky little thing, because she found a good rescue organization who took her in.  And now, I have my fingers crossed that she'll be able to join the ranks of my shy little rescues--because she's kind of shy herself, and not real keen on new humans.

But really, can you blame her?  I tend to be somewhat skeptical of humans myself, and no one left me hugely pregnant in a parking lot in the wee hours of the morning.

I really don't know how someone could do such a thing, quite frankly, but I think maybe they thought they were doing the right thing, if they couldn't afford to deal with a cat and all of her kittens.  Perhaps they thought that this way, she'd be taken care of.

And luckily, she was.  But the thing is, if the person didn't get the cat spayed to begin with, s/he wasn't being a very responsible pet owner from the get-go.  So that bums me out.

And what further bums me out is, there are a lot of animal hospitals out there that won't deal with this kind of situation, because they simply can't--they just call Animal Control, and then there's a chance the cat will be labelled "unwanted" and s/he may be euthanized.

So abandoning a cat like that and telling yourself it's "for the best"... well, it may not be.  And maybe some people don't care, but I'd kind of like to think that they do and they just don't know that this is how the system works.

Surrendering a pet to a No-Kill shelter is the better option, but the best option is, don't feel like you have to get a pet to assuage your own ego or emotional needs.  A pet needs YOU to care for him/her, not the other way around.  So if you don't want the hassle or the worry or the expense, you shouldn't get a pet.

The love and devotion need to be lifelong and mutual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."