Saturday, March 29, 2014

March Madness

Well, it's been quite a month.

To say it's been "busy" doesn't quite cover it.  We were all set to introduce Juno to my other two kitties, when suddenly she came down with a fever and diarrhea.  So we had to do a quick trip to the vet, and put her on antibiotics.

Turns out, she also has ringworm.  

My initial reaction was not unlike the reaction I had when I discovered those meal-moth larva in my pantry back in '11.  We'd been doing room-swaps and scent swaps for a week, basically rubbing Juno's scent (and whatever else is on her) onto my cats, to get them used to her, and putting Juno in rooms to interact with their stuff, so everyone would get used to everyone.

So the news of ringworm and an "intestinal parasite" was... disheartening.

But then, I spent the day cleaning and vacuuming and decided that really, what's done is done, ships have sailed, and che sera, sera.  There's nothing we can do about it now, except monitor the situation, and at least it looks (knock wood) like my other two kitties might not have been exposed to the cause of the fever and diarrhea, since they weren't ever sharing Juno's food, water or litter.

In the end, Juno's health issues are minor and treatable, so they're small setbacks on the post-adoption trail.  

Meanwhile, my two resident kitties seem relatively unfazed at the thought of having a new roomie (what they've seen of her, that is), and there have been no bouts of anger or aggression so... all is well, relatively speaking.

I realized today, though, that next week is the deadline for the Classics Club Spin I decided to do at the end of last month.  I started reading Sinclair Lewis's Arrowsmith and was definitely enjoying it, when The March of the Microbes began and my time was consumed by activities like dosing myself and all the creatures around me with antibiotics and coping with vomit and diarrhea.

Not much reading got done this month, is what I'm saying.  I had all I could do to keep up with my classes.

But today is supposed to be a very rainy Saturday, all the kitties are doing well (or better), and I have a new sock on the needles.  So methinks we'll get this month under control once and for all.  

Really, I probably shouldn't say that now, should I?  Well, I said it.  And I mean it.  Here goes nothin'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."