Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Taking a Spin

I haven't been participating in The Classics Club as much as I'd like to lately, so I'm going to do one of their Spins and see if I can find time to complete it.  (Not always easy to do when the semester's on.)

So, the first step is to list 20 books from my Classics Club reading list.  Next week, the Club will announce a number from 1-20, and my goal will be to read the book with that number by April 2nd.

I think I can do it.  Here's the list:

1.  Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin
2. Julia Alvarez, In the Time of the Butterflies
3.  Don DeLillo, Underworld (finish)
4. Junot Diaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
5. W.E.B. DuBois, The Souls of Black Folk
6.  Maxine Hong Kingston, Tripmaster Monkey
7.  Jon Okada, No No Boy
8. Jaroslav Hasek, The Good Soldier Svjek
9. Chang Rae Lee, Native Speaker
10. James Weldon Johnson, Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man
11. Toni Morrison, Sula
12. Haruki Murakami, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
13. Frank Norris, McTeague
14. Gloria Naylor, The Women of Brewster Place
15. Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red
16. Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
17. Lev Tolstoy, Anna Karenina (reread)
18. Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
19. Charlotte Bronte, Villette
20. Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith (reread)

There are definitely a few on this list that I'd really prefer to "have to" read.  And a few that I'll heave a bit of a groan if I have to face them.  But really, I'm a book addict, so in many ways, a list like this is a bit of a "high" for me--I love having stacks of books I "need" to read and I think this is a nice, solid list.

And since February is Black History Month and the Classics Club is focusing on African American literature of the Harlem Renaissance, I've included a few titles that fit under that category.  If I can find the time, I'll try to read at least one of them, even if it isn't one of the numbers that's picked.

Because if we keep having snow days every week, I'm going to need something else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."