Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Peace on Earth

I've been on call for jury duty all this week (Remember how I was summoned last June?  Well, I kept postponing it, until finally, it was time to pay the civic piper.)  All week I kept trying to remind myself that it wasn't like I was awaiting a draft notice for Vietnam, but I suspect I behaved as if I might as well have been.

But today, good news: my term of service has officially ended.  And no, I wasn't called up, so I didn't have to report.  (Note the "draft" language.  This is what I've been like all week.  Ask my best friend.)

I've tried to make the best of it by taking it all "one day at a time," because really, that's what you have to do.  You can't really plan anything until 5:00 p.m. each day, at which point you find out what you'll be doing the next day: living a rich, full, happy life or sitting in the county courthouse wearing a badge and earning $5. a day praying you don't have to return to do it all again the next day.

So that's over.  And I can actually plan on finishing the revisions to one of my articles this week, and maybe even make it to the library to get the books I'll need to finish up another one before I start my round of holiday visits and celebrations next week.

Right now, it's snowing.  And I'm looking forward to a night in front of the fireplace with good food, good books, and this: 

Peace on Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."