Sunday, December 22, 2013

Finis

It's done.  Barring any unforeseen occurrences (knock wood), I am all set for the holidays.

The Melville article is revised and in the mail.  The gifts are purchased (or made) and ready to be wrapped and given.

The food is cooked.  The house is (totally, amazingly) clean.  Thanks to the warm temperatures, I managed to get two small bits of yard work done that were still lingering.  The bags are packed.  The laundry is done.  I even found the socks I temporarily lost.

All I need to do is get my hair cut tomorrow, and I'm ready for two weeks of holiday fun.

I simply have remind myself that, "These are the holidays.  You are not supposed to pack all kinds of work."

Because, truth be told, I'm a creature of habit and so, yes, I've packed a little work.  Nothing dramatic.  Just a few things that, in case there's some down time, it would be totally cool of me to get done before January.

But no pressure.  I'm taking half of what I normally take because I've come to the realization that it is ridiculous to pack all kinds of work when you head out on vacation, "just in case."

In my defense, in the past, I've been stuck at airports for anywhere from 12-24 hours at a time, and when that happens, having more to do rather than less is really the way to go.  (So is carrying a toothbrush in your purse.  And not wearing makeup.  And having short hair.  That you never shampoo anyway.)

And thank god for the Kindle app.  Because this way, no one can tell them I'm packing 15 different books, several of them over 500 pages long.

Hey, it's how I roll.

Happy Holidays! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."