Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Light in the Leaves

I just watched the sunset.  I love an autumn sunset, because of the way the sunlight plays on the leaves.

If there had to be a day extended by an hour, today was the day.  I did all kinds of yard work, followed by a bike ride made all the more glorious by the fact that it's probably the last bike ride I'll be able to take in a tank-top for some time to come.

I savored every moment.  I imagined what it will feel like to do it again in the spring, after a cold winter.  I guess you could say I enjoyed it in both the present and the future.

I made my favorite apple cake, with the fresh-picked apples I got the other day.  It was my belated treat for my own birthday, and a treat for the birthdays of others in my life.  Today would have been my mom's 79th birthday, and it's my best friend's daughter's 8th birthday.  So it's been a good day, all around.

I've been downloading a ton of French novels.  I have an idea for a comparative lit. course on the 19th-century novel in France and Russia that I'm beginning to contemplate.  It would be a blast to teach, and an even greater blast to prepare for.

I'm working on my article on Moby-Dick, and feeling pretty good about how it's shaping up.  I need to revise and resubmit it, and I'd really like to have that done before the holidays.

Because believe it or not, I'm already thinking about my plans for the holidays: where I'll be, what I'll be up to.

I don't have a lot to say tonight, actually.  I'm just in a good mood, and  I've just been basking in the day, and now I'm looking forward to spending the evening in peace and love.  As it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."