Sunday, September 29, 2013

Autumn Weekend (In Pictures, Mostly)

I had a few projects to finish this weekend.

A cord of firewood is now officially stacked.  One more cord to go.  I'll get that in a few weeks.  I need a breather.  As I told my neighbor, I think I'm kind of an idiot.  I ought to at least lead a guy on long enough to get him to stack all my firewood for me.  Then I can tell him it "isn't working out" and retreat to the comfort of my wine and my couch and my fireplace.

If you think I spend a lot of time putting fruit scraps into jars and covering them with water, sugar and--on occasion--cheap vodka, you're right.



This is peach liqueur.  Fresh local peaches.  Grated lemon zest.  Cheap vodka.  Need I say more?


This is apple cider vinegar, in its earliest stages.  The peels and cores are fermenting in a mixture of water and sugar.


I have all of those peels and cores because I made these:

Raisin-apple oat muffins.  Local apples.  I swap in half whole-wheat flour.  This makes them "healthy."  Really, it does.  I also double the amount of apples, because I don't think apples should be something that we skimp on in life.

In heaven, these muffins will be served round the clock.  On days when I feel like it, I'll make them, but on the other days, the angels will do it.  It's right up their alley.

I love homemade mustard.  I don't know why anyone would ever buy it.

It's not at all hard to make, although you do have to buy the mustard powder in bulk (I get it from Penzey's Spices).  And you probably want to make it during a season of the year when you can have the windows open, since it involves vinegar.

But it really is quite wonderful, so you should do it.  When you do, you can then use some of it to make homemade mayonnaise as well (using fresh local eggs).

No, I'm not kidding.  You use homemade mustard in the homemade mayo and it's wonderful.

A sweater is done.  I love this pattern, and I love this yarn.  It's Pam Powers' "Devonshire" in Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy.

  

Here's a picture of the back of it (because it looks cool and this is what I'll look like when I walk on by).   
My apologies for the bad photos: I have no patience with the task of making a sweater look all pretty for a photo, so I just fling it down and click.  As you can tell.

But in case you didn't catch it, this is that lace detail. I love it, which is why I keep taking pictures of it.

Meanwhile, the laundry is done.  The lawn is mowed.  I went to the library, took out two books on Dostoevsky's The Idiot, and finished one.  So that's something else that I didn't photograph.

Add in a bike ride and a little cookout, plus some time spent catching up with friends, and you have the big picture of my weekend.


Tomorrow, this awaits me: peppermint and pineapple sage, to harvest and hang to dry.  Just a last little batch before the weather gets cooler, I think.

And there you have it.  An early autumn weekend, mostly in pictures.

And yes, I'm pooped.

But happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."