Sunday, August 11, 2013

Company's Coming!

It has been a whirlwind weekend.

My best friend and her two (not-so-little-anymore) guys arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait.  I spent the weekend getting everything ship-shape, because we are gonna play, play, play for an entire week!

I love hosting house-guests and dinner-guests.  I don't know why, I just do.  I like cooking and I don't even mind the cleaning involved in getting ready to host someone (or two).

It's a chance to spruce things up and get rid of all the crappy looking fix-it jobs you need to do, but won't do unless company's coming.  Like the window shade in my office that was basically kind of broken: I took the initial step and bought the shade to replace it... about two weeks ago.  It was sitting there in the box, under the window, waiting.

It's up.

The lawn is mowed, the house is vacuumed, the fridge is stocked with food that doesn't suck.  (It will be inspected by a ten-year-old, so I needed to get my game-face on.)

In other news, I checked out the Yarn Harlot's blog, as I often do, only it was maybe a mistake this time around because she's making washcloths, and for some reason, I decided I had to do that too.  It was a classic case of monkey-see, monkey do, and the only thing that might have slowed me up was if I couldn't find a good yarn.

I found a good yarn.  And it was on sale.  So I couldn't not do it.  Besides, where in the world can you find washcloths--100% cotton, hand-knit washcloths-- for about 50 cents apiece?  Because that is what this will break down to cost-wise when I'm done.

It would be foolish not to do it.

I've also discovered that my living room mantle is perhaps the best place on earth to dry herbs.  They're done, they're dried, so I took them down and bagged them.  I spent a fair amount of time thinking that something must be wrong, that it couldn't really be that easy, but it seems to have been.

I'll need a lot in order to do anything noteworthy: right now, my plan is to order a batch of plain green tea and mix my own flavored herbal teas.  Seems simple enough.  I could actually do the same thing with black tea as well, I do believe.  So I may.

I also started another book, because I need to get back to my Classics Club list and blogging about that.  I'm reading Monique Truong's The Book of Salt (2004), and so far, I like it.

And yes, I still have a bunch of other books in progress, and no, I haven't finished those yet either.  This is the book-equivalent of the knitted-washcloth-thing.  I'll finish them all: I just like having many irons in the fire.

I also stumbled upon a TED talk by Atul Gawande, and now I'm looking into his other work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."