Monday, January 21, 2013

Re-Entry

Today is the last day of January break, so it's time to get back into the swing of things.

It's been a great break, all things considered.  I don't know about the rest of the world, but it seems to me like Christmas and New Year's occurred about six months ago now.

I do love to teach, but I also love being on break.  I think I'm one of the few people who's more productive on vacation than at work.  Which is not to say that I don't get a lot done at work, but it's a different kind of productivity.

Lots more time spent interacting with others.

I think this is something that throws my more extroverted friends off, because they note the fact that I have an extremely extroverted job, but when I'm not working, I'm highly introverted.  As in, I could go days on end without seeing another person and be perfectly content.  It's my way of recharging.

So that's essentially what I did for the past two and a half weeks.  I recharged.  I went swimming. (At the pool. I'm not a Polar Bear).  I went ice-skating.  I finished an article and a proposal project, and I'm halfway through finishing another.  I updated my webpage.  I updated my syllabi.

I cooked.  I went to the gym to work off the Christmas candy.  I read, and I blogged.  I emailed.  I stacked firewood.  I sat by the fire for hours on end, reading and having a wonderful glass of wine. 

So now, I find myself taking a deep breath, because in 24 hours, it's ON.  Back in the thick of things.  Meeting, teaching, conferences, interviews, all that interactive stuff that is also part of the life of a professor.

And for some reason, I have a feeling that this one is going to be a super-busy one.  So.... bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."