Saturday, January 5, 2013

Classics Club Readathon


As I mentioned yesterday, today is the first Classics Club Readathon, so I'll be trying to read for as many hours as possible.  I'm looking forward to this one, since the last Dewey's Readathon didn't go so well for me--I got distracted by a million and one things and never accomplished anything near what I had hoped.

Speaking of accomplishing things, I don't really have a strong game-plan for this Readathon.  I have a couple of books from my Classics Club List underway, so my thought is to see how far I get in each of those.  I doubt I'll finish any of them (definitely not Infinite Jest), but I'll dedicate the day to making progress on them.

Right now, I've got Sinclair Lewis' Main Street and Dostoevsky's The Idiot underway.  Both are rereads--I read them well over a decade ago, though, so they're like new (particularly Main Street).

If I start to feel like my brain's getting swamped, I'll switch to something a bit "lighter"--maybe Julia Alvarez or Annie Proulx or Junot Diaz.

We'll see.

I'm actually one of those rare people who don't snack while reading.  This is probably a form of self-preservation, since if I did, given the amount I read, I'd have exploded years ago.  I'm a big tea-drinker, though, and you'll certainly never see me turning away from a glass of wine and a book.  Right now, though, it's morning, and that means coffee.

At some point, I'm going to head out to the gym and the pool, because I need to get rid of the results of all of the holiday cookies and chocolate that I ate for two weeks straight.  I may take a break and make pasta again (I'm hooked), but otherwise, it's chilly and there's snow on the ground, and I can make a fire in the fireplace, so... bring it!

More later...

11:50 p.m.: Much, much later, that is.  Not a whole lot to report.  I've been spending the afternoon and evening reading Main Street, and enjoying it.  I should finish it tomorrow, or maybe Monday... I'll probably read for another hour and see how far I get.  All in all, a nice, comfortable Readathon!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy the readathon :D And you've got snow and a fireplace... the perfect situation to enjoy lots of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine? Pasta? Books? This is my kind of blog :) Have a great readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not done too much snacking either - yet!
    Enjoy the readathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly chose a Sinclair Lewis book today, but Fitzgerald won out.
    Good luck
    Brona's Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Idiot! I love Dostoevsky. Brothers Karamazov should be coming up soon for me - well, soon as in sometime this year. That's soon.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Idiot is one of my favorite books...Do you reread a lot of books? I love rereading, and sometimes have to force myself to choose something I've never read, when I really want to read Middlemarch for the 5th time. Hope you had a good readathon! I was so engrossed in All the Pretty Horses that I am only just now getting around to comment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do reread quite a bit, mostly because it's part of my job. But I love discovering a new book. And thank you--I had a wonderful readathon and I hope you did too!

      Delete

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."