Sunday, September 23, 2012

Going Clubbing

Fooled you with the title, I bet.

I've decided to join The Classics Club.  The premise is relatively simple: members create a list of at least 50 "classic" books that they then commit to reading and blogging about within a five-year period.  When you finish one, you write a blog post about it--and actually, you can write about your progress while you're reading it.

The premise is simple; the promise may be less so.  But I love to read and Dewey's Read-a-thon is coming up in a couple of weeks, so... why not?

Here is my list.  Take a deep breath, and don't get scared:

Albee, Edward: Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Atwood, Margaret: The Blind Assassin
Celine, Death on the Installment Plan
Colette: My Mother’s House
DeLillo: Underworld
Dillard, Annie: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (finish)
Dubois, W.E.B.: The Souls of Black Folk
Dostoevsky, Fydor: An Accidental Family (The Adolescent)
Goethe: Faust
Hasek, Jaroslav: The Good Soldier Svejk
Hong Kingston, Maxine: Tripmaster Monkey
Johnson, James Weldon: Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man
Lowell, Robert: Collected Poems
Mahfouz, Naguib: The Cairo Trilogy  (Palace Walk, Palace of Desire, Sugar Street)
Morrison, Toni: Jazz
Morrison, Toni: Sula
Murakami, Haruki: The Wild Sheep Chase
Murakami, Haruki: The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
Naylor, Gloria: The Women of Brewster Place
Norris, Frank: McTeague
O’Connor, Flannery: The Complete Stories (reread)
Pamuk, Orhan: My Name is Red
Petrushevskaia, Liudmila: The Time: Night
Proulx, Annie: Postcards (finish)
Solzhenitsyn, Alexander: The Gulag Archipelago
Sorokin, Vladimir: The Queue
Wallace, David Foster: Infinite Jest
West, Dorothy: The Wedding
Wilson, Harriet: Our Nig
Zamyatin, Yevgeny: We

I must confess, now that I'm looking at this list and thinking about what it entails, I'm kinda scared myself.  But I'll give it a try.

I've read a lot of "classics," so in creating my list, I tried to include things I haven't read, things I haven't read in years, things I've heard about and been told to read, but never got around to, and some "classics" not written by dead white men.  Only one or two are books I need to read for a class or a project: I really tried to create a list that wouldn't include things I'd be teaching.

As you'll see on the list, if it's a question of "rereading" or "finishing" a particular work, I've indicated as much.  There are 51 books on the list (one for good measure, I guess.)

I need to set a target-date, so how about we say that, by my birthday in 2016, I will have read and blogged about (gulp) all of these.  

That's October 18, 2016.  I'll be turning 48 that day (another gulp).

So please, watch me as I read and read me when I write.  Or, if you're a fellow-blogger, join The Classics Club and keep us company.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great list! You can always change it as you go too, so there's nothing to be too scared about! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."