Sunday, August 19, 2012

Summer Sunday

I took a 2 hr. bike ride this afternoon, and although my legs are currently feeling a bit rubber-bandy, it was definitely worth it.  It rained all day yesterday, but today the sky cleared, the sun came out and it was perfect.

In that spirit, I'm going to share some pictures from today's garden.  This way, when it's January and I'm cold and tired from shoveling a foot of snow, I can scroll back to August and remember when.

So here's what's in season right now, chez moi.

Roma tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes.  Looks like I'm just going to have to make that blueberry-jalapeno salsa again...

Luckily, I have  jalapenos. Actually, I have lots of jalapenos.



I also foresee eggplant parmesan in my future.











About a week ago, I harvested a huge crop of basil and made pesto to freeze. 

It is amazing how much basil it takes to make a small amount of pesto, when you're planning on freezing it, but, in the end, it's totally worth it.


There's nothing better in the dead of winter than opening up a jar of homemade pesto with basil from the garden.  It brings summer right back to you.

And as far as summer itself goes, it may seem like there's not much left of it, but don't worry, there's still plenty of thyme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."