Friday, August 17, 2012

Encore Once More

As Britney Spears once sang, "Oops, I did it again."

Since this will probably be the only time I ever quote Britney Spears, we should probably pause briefly to acknowledge that fact.

Okay, done.

I had another wonderful week, but it once again meant that I was away from computer screens and blogging.  My best friend visited with her little guys (who are increasingly less little), and we went to NYC.

We walked from Penn Station to Times Square and on up to Rockefeller Center.  If it hadn't been raining, we would have spent some time in Central Park.

The rest of the time we spent in NJ eating pizza and ice cream.  How could that ever be bad?

Okay, it maybe felt a little bit bad last night during my boxing class, but I've officially done penance for a week of fun-filled eating, and now I'm back to getting my abs back.  If you've lost your abs and want them back, I suggest Pilates and boxing.  Nothing else will do it quite like those two.

I've also been swimming and biking.  I confess, I love when summer is warm, but not hot, and unlike the rest of the country, I've been lucky enough to be located where that has been the case this year.  A few hot days, of course, but nothing to complain about.

This morning, I did a Friday-morning berry-picking run, and got some raspberries (which are freezing even as I type), and some blueberries.  When I returned home, I made a blueberry-jalapeno salsa:


Add a bag of Hint of Lime Tortilla chips, a glass of wine and a friend (or two) and life may not get any better than this.

I used roma and yellow-pear tomatoes from my garden, along with (of course) jalapenos.  I have a TON of jalapenos this year, but luckily, they freeze.  It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of a small garden must invest in a storage freezer.

Thought I'd throw that last sentence in to see if the literary types out there are paying attention.

It's unbelievable to me that, in a mere 10 days, I will be back in school.  On the one hand, this is good, because I do so love to teach, but on the other hand, I'm wondering where exactly the summer went.  It's been a busy one.

It's hard for me to believe that it's been a year since I lost my little friend Ezra: we think about him all the time.  I miss his gleeful little giggle when I'd say something silly or strange and his sage way of setting me straight.  I like to imagine him still with us, always, even though we can't see him.

It's odd how, in a few short years, my life has become peopled with ghosts.

And I'm still mourning the loss of my orange kitty earlier this summer, but I'm also enjoying my new cats.  I like the fact that they are all so different: neither of the two new cats are anything at all like my orange guy was, so I feel like I'm allowing myself to grieve the loss of him but also making sure that I don't become overwhelmed by it.

It's a good feeling to have someone to take care of.  My kitty's death deprived me of that, and I missed that feeling along with missing him.

One of my rescued kitties was supposed to be euthanized by the urban shelter where she had been left, but the rescue society I adopted her from intervened in time.  It was pretty bogus: she's extremely timid and they ran out of room, so they deemed her "unadoptable."  And, I suspect, treated her accordingly.

She was quite traumatized by her experiences, obviously, but I adopted her and the handsome Russian Blue who was her cage-buddy, and we have all had a lot of fun settling into our new life.  The two of them are like a 1930's Hollywood film couple.

It's a good feeling when you can watch living beings learn how to trust.

So this has been my week in review.  In the next few weeks, I'm definitely going to have to be cracking open the books a bit more, and I suspect the blog will begin to reflect that once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."