Friday, December 30, 2011

On the Road

I'm blogging from afar this week, but I wanted to write something--anything--before the end of the year, and something tells me my New Year's Eve isn't going to be the time to do it.

I'm visiting my best friend and her family this week and having a wonderful time, as always. But missing Ezra, of course--as I know we all are. It's impossible not to wonder what he would have said and thought about all of the things we're saying and thinking and doing and to feel like, at any given moment, something very important is missing from our lives.

It still makes no sense to me. I know there's no reason why all of that had to happen to him--or to anyone, for that matter--but not a day goes by that I don't think about it and wonder, "Why?"

I know there will never be an answer, but to me, it seems better to wonder than to simply accept it. Something so wrong and so sad should never be acceptable.

But we're having fun, in spite of ourselves. We went bowling the other day, and ice skating today.

As we were about to step onto the ice, my best friend's mom announced, "I haven't been on skates since 1974."

I told her, "That makes two of us."

But it was wonderful and fun, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to go ice skating more often. And perhaps even bowling, although there's no question I kind of suck at it. But still, it was fun.

The highlight of my trip, though, was the look on Sam's face when I fixed the nose on his favorite stuffed animal. He had taken it on a sleep-over, and the family dog at his host's house had gotten ahold of it... I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

I'm surprised he was able to rescue it before more severe damage was done.

So we made a trek to the craft and fabric store, and I did my best, with frequent consultations with his mom to make sure that the facial reconstruction was accurate.

The operation was a success. Sam gave a huge smile and said, "YOU FIXED IT!!!"

That was my Christmas and New Year's present, all rolled into one.

Happy New Year, everyone. May 2012 bring us all peace and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."