Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yoda Fixes the Kitchen Sink

On Friday, I discovered that the drain on my kitchen sink was leaking.

This is the single woman's Gethsemane.

As we toss every suddenly and shockingly soggy thing out from under the sink and frantically search for a bucket that will fit, we all fervently pray, "If it is possible, let this cup pass me by...  Literally."

"Oh, please don't let me have to call a plumber."

"Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"

All melodrama (and unintended blasphemy) aside, I have always feared having to call a plumber.  Let's face it: they have us right where they want us.  The displays of "plumber's butt" to which they subject us during the repair process are simply a taunt, designed to remind us of exactly where we'll feel we're getting it once the bill arrives. 

But then I remembered the wisdom of Yoda: "Named your fear must be before banish it you can."

Could I, a lowly bookworm (pace Richard Scarry), aspire to repair the dripping drain myself?

As I tentatively thought, "Well, I could try...", I again remembered the advice of the 900-year-old Jedi Master: 

"Do or do not... There is no try."

So armed with a light saber and a blaster (which, to the untrained eye, would simply appear to be a spud wrench and a jar of plumber's putty), I crawled to the Dark Side, remembering that to Luke's query, "What is in there?" Yoda's sage response was, "Only what you take with you."

And thus, I did wage valiant war against a corroded drain basket and some nondescript sink-glop.

It is very true that "The dark side clouds everything.  Impossible to see the future is."

But when faced with the distinct possibility that I would be unable to tighten the slip nut sufficiently, I growled, "Not if anything to say about it I have!"

So it's fixed.

"Mind what you have learned.  Save you it can." 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the photo my sister loves Yoda.My account is soothinghandsmassage.blogspot.com bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I just found it on the web... there are a lot of Yoda fans out there. :)

      Delete

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."