Friday, May 6, 2011

Still Grading...

but taking a little break to reflect on life for a minute.

As it turns out, I think the crazy guy's crazy girlfriend may be reading my blog occasionally too.

Hunh.

Oh well.  There just aren't enough hours in the day to be wondering what's up with that anymore.  I think I've run the gamut from disgusted to angry to ... indifferent?  It's just all so silly.

I've been reading a biography of Dorothy Parker.  She was such an amazing wit.  I think her poem, "Indian Summer," fits my experience over the past few months: 
In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!
There was always so much darkness in Parker's sarcasm, though--and her life was truly painful (depression, abortions, suicide attempts, failed marriages, failed love affairs).

She's the one who wrote "Résumé":
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live. (1925)
Which is quite clever, but unfortunately sums up a lot of her life.

My favorite: "This wasn't just plain terrible.  This was fancy terrible.  This was terrible with raisins in it."

And, as she also said, "A girl's best friend is her mutter."

2 comments:

  1. Dorothy Parker reminds me of Faina Ranevskaya--a legendary actress of Soviet Union times. She had a hard life and never dying sense of humor and sarcasm. On this website (http://russiapedia.rt.com/prominent-russians/cinema-and-theater/faina-ranevskaya/) you can find a glimpse into her life and personality as well as a collection of personal quotes.

    Maryia M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maryia! I will definnitely check it out... maybe the next time I'm supposed to be grading. Professors procrastinate shamelessly, in case you couldn't tell! :)

      Delete

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."