Saturday, May 14, 2011

"Bad Blood"



I watched this documentary last night. 

My friend, Donna Shaw, covered the story for The Philadelphia Inquirer during the 1990's and contributed extensively to the documentary. 

I found out about the film because, in her typically modest fashion, Donna just happened to mention in passing yesterday that it would be airing on PBS next month and that last winter, she went to Tribeca for the premiere.

As it mentions at the end of the film, she teaches this story in every journalism class.  And with good reason.

Everyone should see this film and know this story.  It is beyond unbelievable, and beyond upsetting. 

You will need kleenex, but I don't care.  These people suffered horribly, and we owe it to them to watch what happened and why.  We should be upset and angry and uncomfortable.

Actually, we should be furious.

The only person I am currently willing to exempt from watching it is my best friend.

Correction: if she were to attempt to watch it and I found out about it in time, I would throw myself bodily in front of the screen or drape myself over the set so that she couldn't.

The rest of you out there have no excuse.  It will be broadcast on PBS in June.  If you can TiVo mindless crap like "American Idol" or "Spartacus" or "Real Housewives of Wherever," you can TiVo this. 

And if it depresses you, it should.  Just please don't try to tell me that you "don't like to hear about this kind of thing."

Would you rather live it? 

Because, as Dr. Bruce Evatt says in the film, "This will happen again."  The only possible chance of stopping it in the future, is knowing about it now. 

The pharmaceutical industry and the FDA deliberately looked the other way for years.

We shouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."