Friday, January 21, 2011

A Good Day to Be Human

Today was the kind of day I love. 

I shoveled snow this morning and chatted with my slightly kooky neighbors.  All of my neighbors are slightly kooky, which is good because 1) they're all kooky in different ways, so it never gets dull, and 2) I fit right in.

I'm reading Sherry Turkle's new book, Alone Together and the poetry of Rumi. 

More on both of these later, but suffice to say, both of them are making me very glad of my latest New Year's resolutions: to go on Facebook no more than once a week, and to check email no more than once a day. 

(In case you're wondering, I like to make multiple resolutions over the course of January, so I have options.) 

I spent the afternoon finding and buying an awesome pattern for a crazy-amazing pair of mittens, so I am now chasing the knitter's high, so to speak. 

The mittens are seriously cool.  When I get further along, I'll take a picture of them so that everyone can see what I mean.

I talked to my best friend, who is doing well, but is always very sad because of her son.  So now I'm pretty sure that I'm going to give her this awesome pair of mittens when I'm finished knitting them. 

I know she's in South Carolina, but they've been sending us all of the snow and ice lately, and I really think that when life sucks out loud, there's something to be said for at least having a very cool pair of mittens that your friend made for you because she loves you so much and really wishes life weren't so terribly sad for you right now.

Meanwhile, I'm drinking a really nice glass of cabernet sauvignon (like the guy in the movie Sideways, I won't drink merlot), and making a glorious chicken bouillabaisse. 

If you walked into my house right now, you'd think you'd died and gone to heaven--even if you were vegetarian.  It smells that good.

Next on the cooking agenda are apple and dried cherry turnovers and Italian wedding soup. 

If it's going to be -2 degrees outside at night, I'm going to fight back, dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, "Life is short, but there is always time for courtesy."